Sunday, October 12, 2008

CHURCH


I called my dad last week and when he picked up the phone I asked him, " Did you feel the heaven's shake?"
Dad: No, why?
ME: Because Trevor and I went to church!!!!
Needless to say, it had been awhile. Truro is such a wonderful community....I know that Trevor has always been comfortable there and I have always enjoyed mass when I've been. I like it there because the service is upbeat. Lots of singing. People seem happy. I just didn't know if I could really feel part of a spiritual community. I don't know where I am with this at this stage of life. But when looking through the bulletin, I noticed a program. Recreation and Respite for special needs children and their siblings....Sat, Oct. 11 from 6-9pm. HUH???? I read it again. Yes, I read it correctly. WOW...I'm impressed! I couldn't have been better timing. Mark is on a golf trip and getting a break on a Saturday, just doesn't happen. So I signed them up.
So they went last night! They had sent me an agenda and form to fill out. When it asked what to do when behaviors should arise..I laughed and thought...I don't have enough pages to explain the various tactics. So I kept it simple. I found that these volunteers/buddies were phenomenal. As I walked in to pick them up, I instantly was surrounded by people telling me how wonderful they did. What a good sweet boy Trevor was. I listened and thanked everyone for their kindness...but didn't see Darren. I look on the little stage and I see a boy...probably around 8 years old...playing with Darren. Taking time to PLAY with Darren. I froze. Darren was laughing...didn't even know I was there. One of the volunteers then came up to me and just started telling me everything about the night...some transition problems for Darren...boo-boo for Trevor...but all were wonderful...accepting...and so very kind.
As we gather to leave. I see someone approaching me. Another wonderful volunteer who at first could have been speaking in tongues because I was just so overwhelmed with gratitude and shock! She went on to ask if I ever bring them to church, and if so she would be willing to help out and be Darren's buddy. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE! Is what I am thinking....she wants me to bring Darren to church???? Is the congregation ready??? hahaha SO, I said yes. If you are willing to help me, I will be here tomorrow at 8:30.
And we did, and there she was. As soon as she spotted us she came over to sit with us. WHAT? Darren was doing so well. We just had to make it through the first reading and then they are taken downstairs to WEE WORSHIP....how cute is that???? Darren liked the music...was jumping around, but quiet. Of course, there was an older gentleman that turned to him and said, "now go and sit down" ..........Typical:)! So, my new helper signaled to me and said kindly, "let's head down there a little early to give Darren time to get adjusted." WOW
(I am sorry to get into so much detail, but it is helping me process what just happened today. Its was just awesome)
The little chapel was set up for these little tykes...and the volunteers were ready and willing and KIND...so kind. I stay for a minute and then go....trusting that my new helper can handle it....and wants to handle it. I swallow hard and return to church. Where the priest delivers a wonderful homily about how easy it is to judge and complain...but how important it is...to do as Noah did...and build an Arc. Be a leader. Do what you are called to do. Make a difference...don't judge others....make others lives better...easier...help them. GULP...
Time now to go get them. As I walk down the stairs I pray...please let there be silence. Again, I walk in to a supportive room. Where my helper says....all in all I give him an A+! Wait, what??? They liked him....they spoke so kindly of him. I know from Trevor that he struggled a bit during chapel time....but they accepted him. I felt like I couldn't breathe. Trevor was happy and had done a reading at chapel time. Couldn't breathe. THEN my helper says...OK let's go back to church!
And so we did. They did great. Darren sat on my lap and was happy. Trevor was a good boy as always. I even went to communion...and the boys came with me...and the woman asked if she could bless the boys. GULP....I felt accepted....WE were accepted, as is. It was overwhelmingly wonderful. This new person made a real difference in my life today. For that, I am thankful. Don't know what lies ahead...but today was GREAT!