Friday, February 1, 2008

A Conversation from the Heart

As we approach Valentine's Day, I thought I'd share a conversation between Trevor and his cousin Jacob that warmed my heart. We were all in the car and unfortunately, I can't remember how it started...
Trevor may have said something like: " Ya know Darren can't talk".
Jacob: "I know, and I feel really bad for him. But he is doing so great and has come so far."
Trevor: "But we are teaching him."
Jacob: "Well even though he can't talk yet, at least he has sign language to help him tell us what he wants."
Trevor: "I know sign language"
Jacob: "I know how to sign my name" (He correctly signs each letter)
Trevor: "ME too" (He makes up every single letter :)
We all laugh!

I was touched at the realness of the conversation. Kids pay attention and notice things. Just when you think they aren't, the truth is that they already have it all figured out!