Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Day in the Life of Darren and Trevor


I want to make sure that everyone realizes that their relationship is special, but not perfect. I guess I talk so much about how wonderful they are because I think I would have been happy if they just tolerated each other. But I can actually tell that they love each other. In Darren's world, an autistic world of separating one's self, he has a brother who invades his space each and everyday. In Trevor's world, he has had to try so hard for attention and acceptance, that NOW, he has become a person who easily makes friends and is happy to please. They can't sit and have conversations. Trevor will tell you, " Darren can't talk yet, we have to teach him". But they have a connection of some kind. It's not something that I can absolutely describe, I just know in my heart that they both will be better people because they have each other.

Our version of basketball.

We have a little basketball hoop downstairs and every now and then enjoy shootin' some hoops...toddler style. Trevor does his thing, lay-ups, passing, him telling you how to play defense etc. Darren is usually observing from the stairs. When it's Darren's turn to score, Trevor say'" Darren, it's your turn." Darren immediately comes down the stairs, we make him either sign or say ball, and then will take the ball and slams it in the hoop. We clap, he jumps and flaps his hands and Trevor and I resume our game.

Football...

Trevor and I huddle and decide on a play. Trevor says," Hut one, Hut two, Hike!" He grabs the ball and runs. I grab Darren's hand and say'" Come on Darren, let's get Trevor!". As Darren begins to laugh, we run hand in hand, to get Trevor. Trevor scores a touchdown. I say,"Trevor scored a touchdown Darren" and I raise my hands. He raises his hands and looks to Trevor for a high five. They high five and we do it all over again, many, many times.

Darren HATES the word NO. What toddler doesn't. But Darren's temper is quick and fiesty. Trevor used to be hesitant to correct Darren, but not anymore. Trevor will almost too quickly tell Darren no, to which Darren will get very mad and hit. They fight like brothers, what can I say? Actually, I can honestly say that I don't mind it. I like that they are passionate. I like it when they fight. It shows emotion on both sides and it shows that they are willing to stand their own ground. That has to mean something.

I hope this gives a fair insight on their relationship. I am just SO thankful that they have each other.