Saturday, March 17, 2012

BASEBALL

I love it. When I was a little girl I loved it. I loved practice, I looked forward to games. I loved the Orioles, and we all know, I loved Cal Ripken Jr. So I find it ironic that Trevor plays in the Cal Ripken Division here in Florida. Destiny:) Playing sports to me, was everything. No one told me or forced me to feel that way, I just did. I could throw a ball against the brick wall a million times a day. I remember trying to challenge myself to throw harder or to throw it at an angle that would make the grounder coming back way out of reach...yet I would try my hardest to get there. Wiffle ball games were abundant in my backyard and early evenings at the ballpark down the street, a must.

I grew up and played on great softball teams and had the opportunity to play in some incredible tournaments across the US against some amazing athletes. Again, I loved it all.

When I coached softball at the High School level, I found it to be the greatest thrill of all. It was a chance to teach all that I had learned...to transfer all of those experiences over to some wonderful young female athletes. It was a challenge, but became a true passion. I thought nothing could ever top that experience.

Catching: First Game, First Inning
Checking out the pitcher

Watching Trevor play baseball takes me to a different place. I can't even describe the emotions that run through me. When we practice, I love throwing out little suggestions. When he is being stubborn, I enjoy challenging his competitive heart. When he is successful, my heart beams with pride. He's so old school. There's a passion in him that I remember well, but see very little of in kids these day.

Today was his first game of the season. Honestly, didn't know what to expect out of this Brewer team. It was a beautiful day and the complex was full of activity. Games on all fields...softball games on the lower fields...and most importantly, the snack bar was open for business.

Trevor was lead off and actually walked all three times at bat. He caught the first inning, and it seemed like his mind was racing. I can't help but smile when that little body comes walking out with all of that gear on, but he settles in, catches some warm up pitches, and throws it down:) The first inning proved to be a little chaotic for both teams...nerves and excitement I suppose. Trevor did a good job though. He really likes catching, he needs to work on his blocking, but all in all...not too bad. He even threw a guy out who was stealing third!

Second inning he played short, one inning at first, and then, he surprised the heck out of me. The Brewer's were up 8-6 and it was the bottom of the final inning. Each team can score 5 runs per inning, so the game was on the line. Going back a week, Trevor had pitched during a scrimmage and had not faired so well. In fact, he walked three and was yanked. So we had been working on some things this week and this would prove to be his chance to redeem himself. I don't think that coach had planned on pitching Trevor this game (I wouldn't have either after watching him at the scrimmage) but because of pitch counts and a missing teammate....Trevor got the call. And man, did he deliver. Trevor stood on that mound with such presence and determination. After his warm up pitches, I knew he was going to be ok this time around.  Actually, he was lights out!!! He struck out 3 batters to end the game. I was trying to be calm...but holy cow, that kid is too much. So when it comes to baseball, watching Trevor is what I love the most.