Tuesday, April 22, 2008

We're Playing Bas-ket-ball

Does anyone actually know that song???
Well we have been playing basketball. Darren is definitely a post player and Trevor is a natural gunner. In my last post I was talking about sports camps for kids. So I figured I'd better put myself to the test. Can I teach Darren how to play basketball or any sport? So off to Toys R Us we went. We got a new basketball hoop, plastic hockey sticks, fresh new bouncy balls, and all other necessary equipment. The first day of basketball we were outside. The goal was for Darren to just get the ball and slam dunk it without whining. That took awhile. But it eventually did happen. So then he had to get the ball, dunk it, high five Trevor, and sit down.....with as little whining as possible. Again, it took some time. BUT he can do it. He's also a perfectionist. He has to make the shot...if he misses...he, on his own, will get the ball and try again. I liked that.
Trevor used to shoot baskets all the time as a toddler. Seriously, the kid was so good. Watch the video and see for yourselves!!! It had been awhile since we had really played, so his form was rusty. What I love about Trevor is that he really does listen to what I say...even if he's mad...or determined that he is right...he listens and eventually WILL try.

Round 2: Last night we tried again. My initial goal was to have Darren catch the ball, turn, and dunk. If he did so, he would then receive his beloved frog as a reward. I would say catch and he attempted to say CATCH. Cool. I was even more surprised when he caught it! I then told him to shoot, he did and then went to where is frog was and say, "FR-OGG". For those that have heard him say frog...it's too darn cute!!! Wow, this is working. Next he had to catch it, shoot it, get the ball, and pass it to Trevor. Mission accomplished. "FR-OGGG".

Thank god for Trevor. He is my biggest helper and support. I can't explain to you all how much this four year old helps me on a day to day basis. What a team.